"It isn't the events themselves that disturb people, but only their judgements about them." Manuel Epictete
Sophrology is a life philosophy and a method of relaxation based on breathing and positive visualization aiming at:
- living one's life in full consciousness in the present moment
- a better management of daily stressful situations (work, private)
- a better management of emotions generated by difficult situations and trials in life (exams, bereavement, mobbing etc.)
- to reinforce self-confidence and personality
- to improve one's ability to concentrate
- therapy: treatment of blockades and functional diseases caused by stress
- prophylaxis: prevention
- pedagogy: preparation for life events, such as birth, surgery, examinations and sports events
Sophrology has its origins in the Greek roots:
SOS balance, harmony, serenity
PHREN consciousness, brain, heart
LOGOS science, study, word
These three words make up the term sophrology denoting it as the science of harmonious consciousness.The method was developed in 1960 by the neuropsychiatrist Alphonso Caycedo. It iis inspired by and based on a number of relaxation techniques, such as yoga, japanse Zen, autogenic training according to Schultz and progressive muscle relaxation according to Jakobson.
How does the treatment work?
The sophrologist speaks to the client in a soft voice during various exercises that achieve deep physical and mental relaxation, calmness and wellbeing.
This deep state of relaxation leads to true consciousness and opens up the sub-conscious where day-to-day problems are often suppressed. This way, suppressed emotions are recognised and can be managed much better.
- Muscle relaxation and letting go
- Dynamic relaxation: releases tensions
- Breathing exercises: induces calm and leads to deep relaxation
- Visualization: mental pictures and metaphors strengthen self-confidence focus and concentration, activate true potential so that clients can cope better with difficult life situations
Treatment lasts one hour.
*Reduced prices may be available to students and financially disadvantaged clients on special request. Please feel free to contact me.
Please note: sophrology is an effective treatment but does not replace a medical examination or treatment.
1. Mindfulness Meditation-Based Pain Relief Employs Different Neural Mechanisms than Placebo and Sham Mindfulness Meditation-Induced Analgesia, Zeidan et al, Journal of Neuroscience, 2015.
2. Effectiveness and Cost-Effectiveness of Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Compared with Maintenance Antidepressant Treatment in the Prevention of Depressive Relapse or Recurrence: A Randomized Controlled Trial, Kuyken et al, The Lancet, 2015.
3. Randomized Controlled Trial of Mindfulness Meditation for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Effects on Anxiety and Stress Reactivity, Hoge et al, J Clin Psychiatry, 2013.
4. Meditation Experience is Associated with Increased Cortical Thickness, Lazar et al, Neuroreport, 2005. 5. Forever Young(er): Potential Age-Defying Effects of Long-Term Meditation on Gray Matter Atrophy, Luders et al, Frontiers in Psychology, 2015.
5. Measuring the impact of Sophrology on stress - the effects of stress in relation to MSDs https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1779012313002490?via%3Dihub#!